Thursday, July 3, 2008

Commitment to family

And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me. (Ruth 1:16 - 17)

Ruth has always made me feel so comforted. I look at her and see such a commitment to family, a lover and respect for others. Ruth provides a way for her mother-in-law to survive, to what could have been her detriment (not returning to her family, not remarrying, etc). What lessons can we learn from such an unselfish person? What can we take away from such a complete act of love, charity, and caring for others? Where do I even begin answering that question?!?!?! :)

The more I follow God and the more I look to Him for guidance in my day to day life, the more I see how this type of commitment is necessary in everything I do. I need to be able to commit myself to everything I can do with heart, mind, and body, so that I can feel comfortable in being able to turn over it over to glorify God. If I look at how Ruth carries herself, shows love for her mother-in-law, respect for the owner of the field, I can get a great example of how to live. Any thoughts?

No comments: