Saturday, June 28, 2008

Age

Being a fourth grade teacher, I appreciate what young people have to offer. Of course, at this time of year, I also appreciate having a break to de-stress! That point aside, I see a lot of good in youth and what they have to share. Don't get me wrong, respect is shown towards those who are older. There is much that age has to offer that youth can not give. Years on Earth often does bring a lot of wisdom. I have such respect for my parents, my church pastor and elders, grandparents, etc. They have seen so much and experienced so much and those experiences have taught them how to handle a lot. What I think people need to avoid though is that youth means that you have less to offer. There is hardly a week goes by that a student of mine didn't teach me something or give me a different way to look at something that I thought I was the 'expert' on. I sometimes need to work at remembering that just because I am older, doesn't mean I have the end all and be all answer to something. Even when a students knoweldge of a subject is limited (or sometimes when there may be no knowledge), they ask a question or rephrase something in such a way as to give me a new perspective and open a whole new way to approach the subject. Don't discount me because I am yonger, please!

No comments: