Saturday, May 3, 2008

Prayer Closet

So, I have set up a prayer closet. Getting prayer time in an apartment in the middle of New York (even one on the 8th floor) that is quiet prayer time, is impossible. I set a few pillows on the floor for comfort and placed a small reading light in there. I also brought in paper and pencil in case I am struck to journal something, as well as a bottle of water. Since I live alone, and my apartment has 6 closets (this is the only place I looked at that had more than two, and there wasn't many that had that many), I shifted some things around, and have half my clothes closet free for it. It's fairly long, so I can stretch my legs out if I wish. When I pray, I find that I am always distracted by the noise, or work I have to do around the apartment, or whatever. I am hoping by having this space, I can have some undistracted prayer and worship time every day. My prayer time already exists, but hoping this will help make me have more of a personal time with God since it will just be the two of us (and hopefully not my whole life). It's interesting how the one day in recent weeks that I missed my morning reflection time, I had a real scramble about day.

I have worship time twice a day, and I am not sure if I'll use it both times, or just at night. In the morning, I usually read a book of reflections or a Bible verse of the day, etc. I use this time to read something a little shorter and reflect on it a little bit, setting my day on the positive word of God. In the evening, I will do a more intense time. Some nights I may work on a more formal Bible study workbook or some kind of organized reading and work. Some night I may go to favoirite passages if I am in a particular state of mind where I may need a passage, or may search for passages to handle my needs. Some nights I just open, read, and then pray, write, etc. There is no set method to my night time prayer, but I set aside at least 1/2 hour, but usually try to aim for 45 min to an hour, more if time allows. I'll keep posting to how this special space helps my special time with our wonderful Lord!

No comments: